Saturday, 10 September 2016

Butterick 6183 Lisette Top

Hi guys,

How's everyone sewing? harhar..  I've been looking at my collection of top patterns and looking at my stash - especially my impulse bargain table buys and I am determined to marry the two. This is the first effort, essentially a wearable muslin of B6183. The pattern came out a year or two ago and I've been eyeing it since then so I ran it up. The top has a front yoke, different cup sizes, princess seams and a little exposed zip at the back neck. The front yoke is self lined and then the whole neck edge is finished with bias binding. BTW the pants with the pattern are described as 'slightly flared' - form the hip! the legs are wide but they look like a cool loose-at-the-leg pant for summer..must dig through the pants section of the stash :)

I eliminated the zip and did not do the yoke facing. Why would you unless your fabric for the yoke is sheer? I put in a CB seam and a button and loop closure at the back neck. Then in the end I sewed it shut and left the smiling cat novelty button (from All Buttons Great & Small, Newtown) as a decoration. I can pull the top over my head.

The verdict? I don't know. I like the idea of it but it needs something. Firstly it's short, high hip level. Then it's 'semi-fitted', neither fitted or boxy, but to be honest (again) I did add .5 cm of ease to the CFF and the CB to accommodate my wide shoulders and neck. On the positive it is almost there. Definitely wearable.





Happy sewing, whether it's spring or autumn,
Val.

11 comments:

  1. I like it... I think it needs a pop of colour like a red chunky necklace or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Summer Flies. It would be good with brightly coloured pants or shorts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabric - makes a terrific liitle top. A lined yoke and bias binding - I haven't seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But a bright coloured necklace is more Brisbane than Sydney - keep it neutral. I really like your new top. The value in a self lined yoke is the weight and stability it gives. I do it all the time, even when the pattern uses a facing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice! I know what you mean about a garment needing something - it's what makes me sew ruffles :-) Not a suggestion, just an observation. I'm jealous of your stash - I've been sewing mine out all year, getting pretty uninteresting in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfection Val. Looking at that neckline and your sleeve insertion : 110 per cent perfect. And it looks soo chic. You are a beautiful sexist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um.. Did you mean sewist? πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

      Delete
  7. I think it looks nice as is. For myself I would make it a little longer. So thanks for sewing this up because now I know to make it longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute.. The fabric is cute too. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Length is the main thing and maybe a bit too much fabric in the back, hard to see with the pattern. Oh and sewing, what is that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like it! It does come up a bit short though and with the higher neckline can feel a bit stuffy. Definitely add jewelry or a scarf for some brightness.

    ReplyDelete