Thursday, 22 September 2016

M7361 Top - View D

Hello!

I am editing this post to add a second top made from View B, the V neck view of this pattern, but with a level hem not the high low, even though on my body it still falls a bit high-low.  I extended the facing to meet the side seams and to go below the bust for stability. I made it from a poly crepe with a nice drape. It might even work as a dress. What do you think?



View B

Back to the previous version of this post:

BTW I still have the patterns mentioned in my earlier post in the mental queue but I got distracted by new-to-me M7361 and two pieces of bargain table cotton prints from Pitt Trading. I sometimes work nearby which is dangerous when combined with a bad day and the need for fabric therapy. The sleeves are from leftover stash lightweight linen.The front and back panel lining is from stash lightweight cotton.






The black linen pants were made using V9067, view D.

Notes re making the top: The fit is described as loose. The sleeves are cut on the bias. After taking flat measurements I made a size 14. The instructions are good, mostly. The sleeve seam is sewn half way then pivoted to be sewn onto the sides of the top. They never mention clipping to the pivot point, which makes this type of construction so much easier. I interfaced the neckline with lightweight iron-on interfacing then self lined the complete front and back instead of doing facings. I lowered the front neck by 1/8 of an inch, the tiniest bit. I also swung the back panel seams out over my but by 1/4" Note: The front is high so if I make the level hem version I will add length to the whole top. Would I make it again? Yes. I was originally inspired by a version online that had added panels from the sides of the shoulder downwards. I can't find the photo darnit.. But if the right fabric comes up I'll make it again. In fact I've got some crepe which is saying 'make me, make me'...should I listen?

Back to (hopefully) making a wearable muslin of my in the queue vogue pants...

Happy Sewing,
Val.


SaveSave

6 comments:

  1. Love this - the print/solid combo is so pretty.

    When I retired from suit-ville, I was at a loss for clothes. And wore jeans all the time. Eight years later I wear PJs all the time! and have to make myself get dressed in the morning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. some time ago, when my daughter worked in a big corporate company I would meet her for lunch, dressing 'corporate' and enjoying the novelty of it!

      Delete
  2. Two quite different looking tops with your fabric choices they both look beautiful and a dress in the right draped fabric might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'll see if the right fabric comes along for the dress version..

      Delete
  3. Hi Valerie, thanks for visiting Project Minima. I have that pattern, but haven't cracked it open yet. Now I must. I especially like what you did with the two different fabrics. And your review of the pattern itself is helpful. I'd luv if you'd make your pictures larger so I could really see how beautifully you put things together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments! If you click on the photos you should get a larger view but I will try to make sure I include a close up or two from now on.

      Delete