Friday, 16 December 2016

Style Arc Lola goes Cargo


Hello guys.

Right now there seem to be cargo pants everywhere I look, from designer collections downwards. They are an ideal summer pant and I decided to take a summer pant pattern that I knew worked well on me and turn them into cargos. I used Style Arc Lola's  blogged before  here  I used some jungle print cotton voile with just enough body for lightweight pants. 






I didn't want the stovepipe leg shape so, going by the leg circumference of some other pants I've got I added 2 cm to the width of the front leg at the hem on each side and then added 1.5cm to the width of the back leg at each side and tapered going up to hip level. The ideal leg hem circumference for a loose but not wide pant on me is 42 cm (16.5")





I redrew the side of the front where the slant pocket was and played with the idea of a round patch pocket but then went with the classic cargo style pocket that gets incorporated into the waistband and side seam. Then I added square back patch pockets and two rows of elastic in the waistband, the lower one ending in ties. Then I added some loops and button at each side hem for rolling up the legs and viola! Summer cargoes.


Front - excuse the wrinkles. This is after wearing them all day!


Back - patch pockets


They are regular length triple folded and help with a loop and button.


These were actually the trial run but I wore them today to lunch (my fashion critics approved of them) and a quick photo shoot in the park.
I have some pale gum leaf green cotton/hemp blend from The Fabric Shop just waiting to be cut out for the next pair.



p.s. Here's some other linen goodies I bought the other day:



I've been looking for a gold or russet colour linen for a dress and I hit the jackpot. (psst  enabler alert. I used my Fabric Store December voucher to get $20 off )


Above and below are two Tessuti beauties.


The Mustard linen may well become a B6024 smock dress and the Duplice is earmarked for  a little dress pattern coming to me all the way from France. Stay tuned! What a splurge, Merry Christmas me. (But what I spent would purchase one RTW pure linen dress, you know, so I've saved really..)

Happy sewing,
Val.

pps re advertising. I don't advertise on my blogs but if I am a fan of a store or I find something great I share it. Same goes with honest criticism.  I haven't been paid to flog anything, Just in case you were wondering.


13 comments:

  1. Your cargo pants are brilliant, perfect for the Summer and perfectly in fashion. I love how you can adapt patterns so well. Oh, I love love love your Tessuti beauties - is it time for me to take a little trip back to Sydney, perchance? he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would just love the linen corner at Tessuti :)

      Delete
  2. So cute! and the fit is great - you have a nice basic pant in these. Happy happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco, it seems I do. Merry Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  3. Great pants Valerie - love the palm print. I was also taken in by the mustard linen - perfect for culottes and that double sided striped linen so very me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. The mustard linen has been washed and is in the queue..I am fast becoming a real fan of wearing linen in our summer heat (as you always have been!)

      Delete
  4. Really fun pants and the print is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking cargo pants and they sound nice and cool for summer. Your new linen is perfect for summer and look forward to seeing the mustard linen made up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. This type of golden/mustard is one of the few shades and of yellow I can actually wear.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. thanks Sigrid. I'm getting ready for a hot Christmas..sometimes I think a cold one would be nice!

      Delete
  7. Very nice! Are you instagram?

    ReplyDelete