Sunday, 29 May 2016

Burda Style 101/10/2015 Jacket


Todays post is brought to you by the letter V and my neighbour's cat bowls. I've made up a Burda style shawl collar jacket from October 2015. I've been wanting a throw-on-and-go loose jacket for a while and had this wonderfully crazy tie tied velvet in the stash.

Here's the Burda Style link 101/10/2015 It's available as a download also in coat length.

Construction details:  Velvet cut in single layer with the nap. Interlined for stability and warmth with medium weight woven interfacing. All pieces were either interlined or interfaced, I did not double up.
I lined it with dark brown sunsilky from Spotlight. It's a slightly better quality poly than their basic stuff. Fitting issues, none. Gripes? The pockets are placed so low down that the bottom edge of them sits inside the hem if following their placement. They were wrecking the line of the jacket. I considered putting them higher but I would also have had to have made them from a material other than velvet which was too bulky. Couldn't be bothered, I left them out.
The sleeves are very long, so I made fold back cuffs even though that was not my original plan. Went with the flow. I did not do the loop and button closure as I wanted to be able to pin it anywhere. I have a co-ordinating flower brooch that I bought while cruising the Newtown Saturday markets with a friend. We bought a bunch of different brooches between us, they were a steal!

I finished off the edges with happily imperfect hand stitching with Gutterman top stitching thread. Good stuff that. Note to self:  Remember to arrange the collar properly before going out, the velvet likes to grab onto itself. Oh and the collar is huge, I am wearing it bunched up a bit.

The velvet was a (insert bad word of your choice) to sew and made this a slow and careful project. I'll be writing more about grappling with velvet  in a Pattern Review, but all I'll say for now is Bring on winter in Sydney!

Happy sewing,