Wednesday, 18 January 2017

A burda a month

Hi there,

A while ago I read a post on another blog about doing a burdastyle a month for 2017. It's about getting out those mags and actually making something up instead of looking at them and filing them away again. In keeping with Sydney's current heatwave I've made up a rayon maxi dress in a loose style. If anyone in the northern hemisphere is wondering why Aussies like myself are carrying on about the heat, it's because as well as hot days of 40 degrees Celsius, we have been having midnight temperatures of 34 degrees Celsius. That's 93.2 Fahrenheit. So it's either air-conditioning or the fan going all night! Makes it difficult sometimes. Anyway I promise not to mention the heat for at least a few posts. Heatstroke and whining aside, I've made up 03/2010/111 Kimono Dress.







Modifications: The pattern as drafted is extremely billowy in the upper half and I had to shorten the bodice pieces by 2 cm, extend the skirt pieces up by 2cm, scoop the armhole out instead of the batwing shape they had. Most importantly I had to raise the too-plunging neckline. I added ties stitched to the side seams instead of making a separate Obi type belt as in the pattern.
Instructions:  Shock horror for once they were good, especially the flip the facing to the outside and topstitch neckline treatment.







I interfaced the back neck and front band pieces with lightweight interfacing found in the stash. It wasn't iron on so I used glue stick to dot some glue on then ironed it on a silk setting. This worked quite well!



Disclaimer:  I have already fallen off the stash wagon, well not really if you read the rules that I allowed myself one pattern & one piece of fabric per quarter .. I got this beautiful cotton/lycra Pique at the Fabric Store.


At first I thought of making an unlined sheath dress but that big white border is just screaming out to be used somehow. Decisions, decisions..

Stash tally Project 3:  Stash pattern and stash fabric used for dress. Another piece of stash fabric used for a muslin (too awful to show here, pattern placement chaos). One piece of fabric in.

Edit: To any new readers who are wondering 'What on earth is going on with her hair?' I am growing out the dye and letting it go grey. I've had my first round of chopping it off. I did consider shaving my head but took the (slightly) less extreme route. Once it's all out I will let it grow.

Happy sewing,
Val.

12 comments:

  1. I live near Phoenix, Arizona in the U.S. I totally understand your discomfort. 43+C days and 32+C nights are common occurrences during our summers (July, August). Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by LindaC. I did not think nights that hot happened anywhere else! Actually it is not normal for us, even in summer..things are getting hotter!

      Delete
  2. Thinking that shaving your head would the coolest option �� Melbourne is not so bad just now. But the Aus Tennis Open has started & school's back in two weeks, so it will soon be hotter than Hades.

    The dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha didn't think of the coolness aspect!

      Delete
  3. Burda's low neckline is a given but so good to hear the instructions were good. A cool dress is a must in the fierce weather we are having but then today back to 26c what is going on. How could you resist this fabric when the Fabric Store had a sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should stay out of The Fabric Store ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  4. omg I loooove that leopard fabric! Should have gone to the Fabric Store....
    Your cool dress is beautiful, fabulous fit and perfect for the Heat Wave(s). When will it end????
    What a neat trick with the glue stick - wish I'd thought of that a few times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. It's my favourite fabric store - apart from Tissus Reine in Paris of course :))

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed you managed to sew at all in this heat - all I've managed is to lay on the couch and read my Burda magazine! Your dress looks perfect for coping in the heat though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. Reading Burdas on the couch is a valid part of the process!

      Delete
  6. Love this style - you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete