Wednesday, 4 January 2017

Plans for 2017


My plans for 2017 are to make more plans!
In regard to my sewing that is. I am way more organised in other aspects of life than I am with sewing where I've let impulse reign. Not this year. Uh uh. To start with I have taken all my fabric out of every drawer and every plastic bin, sorted it according to type photographed it and filed it so I know where everything is. Revolutionary! I am doing the same thing with my patterns.
n.b. I know there are apps for this but because I don't have young eyes or fingers apps tend to frustrate me. I am happy to have gotten as far as having the info my trusty laptop. It is good being organised though. When I think of a fabric I can check where it is where before I'd have to go hunting for it. Why didn't I do this before?  I am also going to photograph the line drawing pages of all my Burdastyle magazines. Having that reference will save time as well.



Some favourite fabrics that I am keeping handy




Additions to the pattern stash bought late 2016


So all of this brings me to goals. The first three will be no surprise. Instead of buying more, more I will
1.   Shop the fabric stash
2.   Shop the pattern stash
3.   Use my existing Burdastyle magazines
4.   Participate in PR's sew one Burdastyle a month thread.

However because I am human and know I will eventually go ga-ga over a new pattern or fabric I will allow myself a total of:
Four new patterns, Four new pieces of fabric and Four Burdastyle magazines in total for the year. That's one per quarter or just stopping when I've reached the number, whatever happens first. Maybe I won't buy any new fabric or Burdastyles. I hear you snickering... I will stick to the limit though.

The other goals are style and season oriented.
1.   I live in the southern hemisphere so I'll try to sew for the season I am experiencing instead of getting distracted by new goodies released for winter in Europe or USA. When I do that I end up not sewing them till a year or two later, if at all!
2.   For a long time I've been a bit bogged down in what I thought I 'ought' to be sewing and wearing instead of what I really wanted to sew and wear. This is slowly changing. Part of that overall picture is the decision to grow out my dyed hair. I will be having a landmark birthday this year and always planned to do the grey at that time but felt ready to do it now.  Reactions to my half-grown-out roots have already been mixed, even from total strangers who comment on the fact that growing it out will make me look older. Yeah so? I am getting older. What's wrong with 'older' anyhow? 
Some friends of mine from way back in high school and I are planning a combined celebration later in the year. There will be sewing for that!
Organisational bonus:  I found lovelies in my stash I forgot I had, including a beautiful designer silk printed with a city skyline which will be made into a dress for the celebration. Bring it on!

Thanks for reading my blurb and I hope you are looking forward to adventurous sewing this year,
Val.








17 comments:

  1. Wow, those are big plans Val. What a great idea to keep a filing system, and I'd love to hear more about how you actually organise that. The collection of fabrics looks enticing, and can't wait to see some of these made up, especially the S8014 pattern. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia. First I sorted my materials into type - cottons, knits, rayons/synthetics, lining/interfacing, special fabrics, wool coatings. Each category has it's own labelled plastic tub with a lid. I made new files on my desktop labelled with these categories. Then as I photographed material I sent it to the appropriate file. Not very sophisticated but it works better than just remembering what's what and what's where. I just photographed all my Burda magazines today, both the front cover and the line drawing page. Then I will file them in order, recent to oldest. I have yet to finish photographing all my regular patterns. I will file them by brand and separately by garment category. I have doing doing a considerable cull while doing all this, scrapping stuff or giving it to charity. It's been a work in progress, done bit by bit, but I want everything sorted by the time I finish my holidays.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Val, this is really inspiring to me. As HB says, I am the world's absolute worst at filing!

      Delete
  2. Grinning...but my idea of new year planning is to empty those 2 plastic bins of fabric remnants/scraps! They haunt my dreams.

    I love having a visual inventory of my patterns and fabric, so I applaud your getting started on this. I've used Evernote for several years now, after eventual frustration with .jpgs and notes on Word. It's free (although I pay $5/month for the upgrade that syncs across ALL my devices) and the learning curve is practically zero. I use it for everything in my life now, not just sewing :-)

    I also shopped my fabric and pattern stashes last year, to the point I was almost out of both fabric and ideas. So I've enjoyed shopping the seasonal sales for both. I figure I earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Coco, I forgot to mention I have plans for the big bin of scraps - a stuffed patchwork elephant from either Simplicity 3693 or Burdastyle 149/04/2009. (No way I could have referenced that in a snap before!) Re Evernote I will have a look at it. Maybe it's not as hard as I think. Well done with whittling down your stash. My aim is to get my fabric down to just two tallboy drawers. I have plenty to work with. I'm glad you enjoyed your sales. Yes you did earn it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Valerie! I like all your plans! Like Coco, I recently downloaded Evernote into my desktop to catalog my patterns and really like the more visual way of organizing with that than anything else I've tried to use in the past. You can include all those photographs you've just taken too. I'm using the free version and there has been a learning curve to me, but then I'm not real computer savvy. Though not hard. Anyway..... organizing is good. But what I really wanted to say, is that I was told the same.exact.thing about my hair when I let my hair go gray. And now that it's all said and done.... I LOVE it! And I've never gotten so many compliments on my hair in my entire life. So hang in there! Wishing you a wonderful 2017!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lisa, thank you for your encouragement, especially about the hair, which has reached the awkward stage. I will go and talk to my hairdresser at the end of next week and maybe tell him to get out the clippers...

      Delete
  4. Very impressive organising job; what a good idea to photograph the patterns and fabrics. I've really enjoyed reading your blog this year and especially like your B6024 mustard dress, might have to try and get my hands on that pattern....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. That dress seems to have hit a note with many, and I've fallen in love with wearing linen.

      Delete
  5. Linen is surprisingly cool in the warmer weather too, perhaps because it stands away from the body? I just wanted to say also that I grew my hair out too a year or two ago, because of the maintenance, chemicals, self consciousness, and so on, and it gave me (and still does) such a relieving sense of freedom and feels so right. Enjoy your new look ๐Ÿ˜Œ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to start the year with sorting and organisation. It will actually save you time. I am going grey and don't care. maintaining those roots takes time and money which I would rather spend on other things. It helps too to have a tiny bathroom mirror and dim lights. That gets rid of the wrinkles as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, I like your beauty philosophy. Luckily my hair grows fast, so I have one more week of looking like a fright before the big chop.

      Delete
  7. It all sounds wonderful, Valerie. And a lot of work has already been done in organizing everything. I'm duly impressed. I look forward to seeing what you come up with sewing wise.

    I've decided to go cold turkey this year and not buy any fabric or patterns at all. yikes. But geez, I have enough of both to last several lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold turkey? Now I'm impressed :)

      Delete
  8. Wow you have been busy and is something that I should do, as I have fabric in all sorts of places in the one room. You don't mention that you measured it, did you?

    I am impressed by your self imposed rules for both fabric and patterns and look forward to seeing what other gems you have found in the clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your plans for the new year. All of them, but especially sewing what you want instead of what you "ought". I know I'm late in commenting, but you inspired me to dig into deep, dark corners in my sewing room and purge those scraps and bits that are really too small to do anything with and that I couldn't see made into quilts, like all the cammo fleece bits. I went gray when I retired, and survived quite nicely. Love your attitude, "Yeah, so? I am getting older." I've learned to wear getting older like a badge of honour. I've earned it after five kids and teaching school for 34 years. Now, off to try to make it through the door of my sewing room and actually back into it after my "cleaning" binge. Keep up the great work, Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I like your idea of age as a badge of honour. Thanks. In the same vein I think maturity is knowing who you are and not being afraid to show it.

      Delete