Monday, 23 January 2017

V1312 dress - finally!


Sometimes I buy patterns as soon as I see them then sit on them for years. The reasons vary. Distraction, procrastination, perceived fitting problems. For this pattern it was the latter. I would look at that wide not-sitting-just-right neckline on the model and know that it would be the same on my square shoulders and think 'I'll tackle it later'. I've finally made it up because I had a vision of it made up in some rediscovered stash voile. My daughter sometimes makes me laugh by walking around saying "It'll work - I have a veesion!" Well the vision spoke and I got out the voile, the pattern and the drafting tools. I narrowed the neckline slightly and was contemplating putting in bust darts. Then when playing around with cutting layout I realised my material had a very obvious oneway design and I my not have enough material. I was going to do a self lining, at least for the bodice. (I did a green gauze lining for the upper skirt only). A solution to  both the bodice fitting and layout problems occurred to me. I redrafted the bodice with princess seams and shortened the bottom skirt layer by 4 cm. At the bodice back I added  CB seam and did a sway back adjustment.
One mistake:  I did not put in a zip. I had planned to put one in the CB, then forgot to incorporate a CB seam in the skirt. Gah! So I did a muslin of the bodice to see if I could pull it over my head without a zip. I could. Yes! But it was a different story when I added the skirt and lining layer. I can get it on and off but I've perfected a spectacular yoga move of throwing the skirt over my head and wiggling my bust then shoulders out. Needless to say if I make this dress again I will do a back zip. Lesson learnt! Anyhow, it's been a while since I had a truly flowing dress. I enjoy wearing this one. Photos taken by  friend in the city.




V1312


I did narrow topstitch from the skirt corners to the hem to give them a bit of definition.


The redrafted front bodice.


It swishes!

I like it so much I am making a knit version. We'll see how that goes! But I'm off to work now. It's a pity it has to intrude on my sewing & social life.

Edit Update:  Re the knit version the voluminous skirt drags down the bodice so I would not recommend. A knit skirt attached to a woven bodice might work, but for now I am moving on to other projects.

Stash used: Two floral material lengths, cotton for skirt lining. Stash pattern.
Progressive stash tally: 9 out, 1 in.

In the midst of all that's happening,
Stay safe people.
Val.




20 comments:

  1. It turned out lovely! I do hope it fit your vision( darn auto correct won't let me replicate your word). You look very happy in your swish dress.kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it did fit my vision - don't you just hate auto correct?

      Delete
  2. Oh, it looks lovely on you. And that fabric is great too. The changes you've made to the pattern are a winner for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pao. My stash busting year is turning up some good ideas

      Delete
  3. Oh this is so pretty, and swishy and gorgeous Val! I had to Google the pattern right away to see the line drawing, and I love that skirt... I know what you mean about the necessity of a back zip, often put one in myself. Apart from ease of getting in, it saves getting makeup around the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, hair and make up..mine are usually done as an after thought...

      Delete
  4. The crazy dress! I love mine, its so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the crazy dress that was originally accompanied by a shot of the poor model doing a Japanese warrior type squat in a window. Vogue changed the shot after much ridicule from sewing bloggers :)

      Delete
  5. looks good on you how about a side zip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. I hate side zips with a passion. Not going there.

      Delete
  6. oooo - nice! and so flowy and fun. I love this vibe you're working this year! You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. I like your vibe too.

      Delete
  7. That is such a great dress that looks good on you! How fun that it swishes, too! I love dresses like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer, yeah there's something about them!

      Delete
  8. Lovely dress. I love maxi dresses in the summer. They are my favorites !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sizun. I like your art as well as your sewing!

      Delete
  9. That's a lovely dress, it really suits you! So fun.
    I really like that you redrafted the bodice. Go with what works, that's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle. The princess bodice works well with the drape of the skirt and the points.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful dress for summer and I like the fitted bodice and the full skirt. The yoga wiggle is a great one, I even had a dress with a zip that I had to do that LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that must have been something lol

      Delete