Saturday, 25 February 2017

New Look 6067 mock wrap dress, lisette B6182 Top



Hello! Here is another catch up post. I meant to make this leopard print dress in January but hey, that didn't happen. I did manage to make it after I used the top half for my black glitter jersey dress (see previous post) got out the material and just kept going..









What I did: I read various reviews of this dress and made the neckline facing, which is a doubled over strip of straight material turned to the inside and top stitched, 6cm shorter than the given length to give the right firmness. I shortened the bodice by 2cm in the middle back tapering to 1.5cm at the sides and front. I should have gone 2cm all round. I narrowed the sleeve by 1.5cm taken off the back arm seam to make it fall right otherwise it was floppy. I made the pockets but wish I'd kept them off. They draw attention where I don't need it.
Conclusion: It's wearable but not an immediate favourite.

The second item which was made back in January is a little exercise top from lisette B6182. I originally made the dress in a loud 60's print last year, not blogged, because it was a disaster and I put it in the charity bin. But on the bright side this is the second knit top I have made and wear it often, mostly when I go out on the bike but want to drop into a shop on the way back and want something on that doesn't immediately scream 'work out wear' (although I have seen people shop in braille workout tops!)






Yeah I should have pulled the side down in the second photo but you still get and idea of the silhouette. If/when I make it again I will lengthen it slightly and also make it a bit less trapezey.
In fact I think that was what went wrong with the dress version, the trapeze dress silhouette felt like it was visually dragging me down. My basic silhouette/body-skeleton shape is rectangle and dresses with that silhouette suit me best. I can then play with the horizontal (waist) line either raising it a third or lowering it a third, the classic 'flapper' outline. In fact the only vintage period I have ever really worn well is 1920's do-the-Charleston era. Must revisit that sometime!
Here's an interesting you tube video talking about sewing for your proportions from Stitch 2 Fit
https://youtu.be/okswb1nrZzc  It's about 8 minutes in.

I'll be getting out the calculator!
Happy Sewing,
Val.

Progressive Stash Tally.
Fabric:  11 out, 3 in.
Stash Patterns used.







10 comments:

  1. Love your new hairstyle and colour. Snow leopard is my favourite animal print and 1/2 wrap dresses are so easy to wear and comfy so a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I'm sure it will grow on me.

      Delete
  2. I think your leopard dress looks very elegant Val, a great design and sew. Also like the style of your top, but like you are planning I'd go a bit longer too - although it is fine as is, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top as drafted is on the short side!

      Delete
  3. Hi! the wrap is pretty, but, gosh, they're hard to wear. Have given up on them. the top is super cute on you - you are in great shape, girl! and love the hair :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. Yes my black wrap is easier to wear than this one..must be why the LBD is such a classic!

      Delete
  4. You look tres elegant in your new dress, very flattering. I had a look at the video - I haven't really watched any sewing ones before (only daughters' how-to makeup ones ๐Ÿ˜) and it was very interesting to see the horizontal division/proportions explained, and how you can apply this as a general rule to your wardrobe so that your clothes 'mesh' well. I'm not sure if I can commit to that but have taken the idea on board! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. There is a wealth of sewing and styling information on youtube and that poster seems to know her stuff!

      Delete
  5. Your leopard print dress looks great on you and your workout top is perfect for those trips to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the same pattern as your glitter dress? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete