Wednesday, 1 March 2017

V1522 Isaac Mizrahi Top


Vogue Isaac Mizrahi pattern V1522 was released last year. I loved it immediately but it wasn't released here until recently. I searched for reviews on the internet and found only few of the pants and one of the top. Erica Bunker  has made up the whole outfit and looked quite good in it. Anyway I bought the pattern and got out some Liberty silk from my stash. I knew I should make a muslin but thought 'nah, I know what adjustments to make. It looks straightforward'. It is, technically, but I ended up doing every main component on this top at least twice to make it sit right on me. It would have taken less time to make two garments instead of redoing so much on one!

I started with my usual adjustment for boat necks. I have to scoop out the front neck a little bit and bring the sides of the neck in a little bit, then do a straight shoulder adjustment. I had three goes at the sleeves - which I love by the way. They have an exaggerated in and out side seam curve. The seam where the sleeve meets the flounce is also curved. It rises in the middle and falls to the sides.  I shortened the sleeve by 1 cm. The flounces themselves are attached then the seam is hidden by a bias self strip. I found I had too much volume at the end of the sleeve and had to take in a 2.5 cm 'wedge' from the bottom tapering to nothing at 12cm up to make it work on my short body. The line drawings don't show how long and pointy the very bottom of the finished flounce/sleeve is. The inside seam is partly visible and the seams need to be finished with French or flat felled seams, not mentioned in the instructions.

I found the bias strips for the neck and sleeves a little bit too wide. I narrowed them both in the middle of redoing everything. That's how this process was - do a bit, unpick, recut, do it again. I took the hem up an extra inch instead of narrow hemming and I raised the side slit accordingly. The top is a bit longer on me than the envelope but it's where I want it.







Conclusion: Now that I've tweaked everything I will probably make it again, maybe in a statement print. In spite of my issues it's a good pattern.

I am making the pants out of a beefy chocolate brown slinky knit. They are nearly finished and I'll post them soon.

A note on the continuing saga of the hair. I got tired of having two tone colour while waiting for my natural grey to grow so I decided to bleach it. The ends ended up yellow so I used Schwarzkopf Silver Toner to help even it out. Anyway now for the first time in my life I have attention-seeking hair! It's a means to an end but I sort of like it.

That's my small adventures,
Happy sewing,
Val.

Edit: 5 March. My DD came over today and I was telling her about this top, how I want to make it again in a bolder print because I wasn't entirely happy with how old fashioned the little print looked on me. She asked if she could try it on and it looked so good on her - she loves this type of print - that I gave it to her. I took it in at the sides 1 cm from armpit to the vents. Here's the happy model.





Progressive Stash Tally:
Fabric: 12 stash, 3 purchased.
Patterns: 1 purchased.

9 comments:

  1. You look so cute. And I think you're very brave to bleach your hair! but it came out really well. Not much longer...it's almost grown out. OK, I was laughing at your sew-rip-sew approach to the top. Sounded familiar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco..re the rip approach Patience (when exercised) is a virtue as they say.

      Delete
  2. For such a simple looking top it is deceptive and you have made a lovely top even with all your sew-rip-sew efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It was all tweaking of the fit. It is a simple top.

      Delete
  3. I'd sat my DD down and told her to make her own! It looked great on you, so make sure the next one is for you. Lovely to see you at frocktails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is I love sewing for DD. She gave me some material in exchange : )
      I enjoyed talking to you at Frocktails too.

      Delete
  4. Love your cute top! Not familiar with the pattern, I clicked on the pattern link and what great sleeves! Can see what drew you to this pattern. Had to smile at your updated edit as I'd have given it to my sweet daughter too if she had liked it. Looks darling on your daughter. Look forward to seeing your next version! And the pants too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. The pants from this pattern turned out well. Post to follow soon!

      Delete