Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Work in progress Sim 8014 and other goings on.


Hi all, A few new pieces of material have entered the stash. The first one is a beautiful black and white large check linen that I bought from Van Hung in Cabramatta.
I took it home and washed it and straight away started making Simplicity 8014, this time a shorter version with the curved hem and 3/4 roll up sleeves. Have you ever noticed the black and white checked version in the line drawings? I'd also seen it made up in a similar material on the McCalls Facebook page. So, when I saw it I bought it. It washed beautifully and has a nice texture.



The linen


The pattern

The other piece of fabric I bought from the same shop is a gorgeous silk spandex that is going to be a  luxurious lining for a soft wool jacket that I am going to make using Vogue 8991. I've had the black EOS wool in my stash for ages. I'll be hand quilting the layers together and taking my time with it.


The lining for my planned black wool boucle jacket


The pattern

I've made a wearable muslin of the pattern before. This will be the real deal. Chanel-ish. The prospect is daunting but hopefully it will work out the way I picture it. 

Also, some weeks ago, on another cycle into Cabramatta I bought this purple butterfly material thinking it could maybe do as a muslin for the knit sheath dress I made my daughter..but she didn't like it and said she was confident I could make her dress straight off and luckily I did. So this is probably going to be a wrap dress for me.



That's not all. Last month while Op shopping with my daughter I got her to pay for a piece of pink and orange checked cotton voile which was $4 and then give it to me so I could say I hadn't bought it! She found this highly amusing but my deception came back to bite me. I made it up into a top which didn't work on me so it ended up being given to her. Karma.
So that's the story of the piece of fabric that tipped me over my stash allowance. Coco, if you read this, you were right. My self imposed fabric fast didn't get me through the first quarter! But it's not like I am now going to go berserk. I have actually slowed down so if I buy any more fabric this year it will be carefully considered!


The guilty Tally 2017: Stash used so far 14
                                     Patterns bought 2
                                     Material bought 7  

What are you making?
Val.



12 comments:

  1. I will be making up 8014 soon too. Looking forward to seeing your checked version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing yours too!

      Delete
  2. Gingham check in linen that sounds perfect and I look forward to seeing 8014 being made up.

    Why are you hand quilting your lining to your wool, every course I have done (3 now) it has always been by machine. There is a huge amount of hand sewing without trying to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd follow the directions by Claire Schaefer that are with the pattern. There's a lot of handwork involved.

      Delete
    2. Actually I've just been re-reading the instructions and you are right Sharon! After instructions for copious hand basting to mark hems and seam lines and what not the actual quitting is done by machine using a 4mm stitch. I don't want to do the traditional frayed edge or braid finishes but regular seams so I am figuring out the construction as well as a revamped fit. I will still include some quilting though.

      Delete
    3. I did Claire's workshop in Armidale and as you say the quilting is by machine. My current jacket doesn't have the frayed edge either.

      Delete
  3. I'm so laughing !! what beautiful fabrics. I'm jealous. I've been sewing down my stash all year, down to only 6 pieces of fabric, and I'm afraid to touch it! I think I'm having an anxiety attack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stash is only six pieces? I've got six tubs worth!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've got some great projects planned out! Look forward to seeing them made!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. The beauty of being able to sew is that you can buy and make up good quality fabric.

      Delete
  5. The purple is my favourite, I think if you can get some of your fabric stash from the charity shop it shouldn't count as it is for a good cause.xx

    ReplyDelete