Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Remade skirt and #MMM2017


About a month ago just quietly I signed up for sozo's Me Made May. It's been going for a few years now and the idea is to bring out the things you've made and wear them more getting out that forgotten piece from the corner of the wardrobe or wearing your favourites in different ways. I liked the idea of exploring different combinations. Due to my work hours I can't photograph an outfit a day, so I pledged to do a Saturday catch up of three or so outfits with a me made component worn during the week.

Did you know I make my own nightwear? Mostly it's long knit tank dresses so I do actually wear something I've made every day and I won't bore you with shots of night dresses but I do like the idea of being more creative with what I've got. This will be an interesting exercise because my clothing is taking a different direction. At the moment I am rediscovering skirts. I am remodelling some of my coats and jackets. I plan to make some tunics.

Re this skirt I actually started it months ago. I unpicked the sides and the crotch of an old pair of straight legged thrift shop jeans. I'd gotten tired of them but still loved the material so I got out all my denim scraps from other projects and put 'v' shapes in the crotch and sides. However the skirt didn't really work until I added the tiers. I just kept pining and piecing until I was happy. I tried it on very carefully trying not to stab myself. Then I serged the edges of the pieces and straight stitched them into place tiling them on top of one another, one tier at a time. The different types of denim behaved differently so using the walking foot was very helpful. I deliberately tried to bring in the flare a bit at the bottom tier. I want to make a plain blue lantern skirt in the future.





Strangely enough today while shopping I saw fake 'remade' denim skirts in the jean shop but they didn't bother to put in the front 'v' piece. I don't know how anyone would sit down in them! I'll stick to granny chic.
More on Saturday. Till then have a good MMM everybody.
Val.

8 comments:

  1. Valerie, that is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt so much - it is Designer Original, and looks fabulous. You will wear it all Winter. I was wondering where Me Made may originated - now I know! Always something new to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the patch work effect. You can tell a lot of work went into this one. I'm doing MMM for the first time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, granny chic! this is fun, skirt is great with the top and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for commenting, I appreciate it.😄

    ReplyDelete
  7. So creative and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This isn't your average denim skirt it is soooo much better.

    ReplyDelete